wrenheader1wrenheader
© 2001-2011 WREN
Forest Park
 Woburn's Only Designated "Town Forest"
Forest Park has a network of trails which are ideal for hiking, jogging, cross-country skiing and nature study. An athletic field is located at the eastern end of the park.

Description: The only designated Town Forest (in Woburn), this 39-acre tract is located just east of Main Street and south of Route 128. Forest Park has a network of trails which are ideal for hiking, jogging, cross-country skiing and nature study. An athletic field is located at the eastern end of the park.

Activities: hiking, jogging, cross-country skiing; athletic field

Forest Park was the first public park in the city. The land was purchased from Charles A Torrey in October 1890 at the recommendation of the Park Commission which had been formed earlier that same year. The property was about 39 acres and described as a pleasant place to visit ... comprising ... hill and vale, groves and open fields,² and ³easy of access to most of our population², bering near the geographical center of the city, and near horse car and railroad lines.

Soon a field was laid out for baseball and football, the first, and for some years only, public field in the city. The park was called Public Park or City Park. It was renamed Forest Park about 1907. Also about that time, the area began to suffer a plague of gypsy and brown tail moths and annual spraying of the trees in Forest Park began. In 1915 , a large number of badly infested trees at were removed and 600 White Pine, 2,000 Red Pine and 500 White Ash seedlings planted. After this, and with the development of other parks and playgrounds, attention given by the city to Forest Park waned. Although in 1935, $1,453.31 was spent for Forest Park ³beatification² under the WPA.

Another part of the story is Thomas Coolidge who willed to the city eight acres adjacent to Forest Park. The Coolidge parcel remain on the city's books for some years, but was never incorporated into the park. The construction of 128 in 1950 separated the Coolidge parcel from the main part of Forest Park and in January 1960 , the city deeded the remaining portion of Coolidge¹s bequest north of Route 128 to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (In following years, this transaction created a misunderstanding about Forest Park within city government. The Conservation Commission believed that Forest Park was owned by an out of state church trust, while the Cemetery Commission believed that Forest park had been left to the city by Coolidge and that the ³unused² portion could be developed as a cemetery.)

Another abutter to Forest Park was Jonathan Thompson, who died in 1900, and willed multiple properties to the city, the bequest was contested by relatives, but listed among city properties in 1905 as the Thompson Estate was 23 5/9 acres at the corner of Main and Alfred streets. it is not listed in 1910. (It may have seen sold to construct the Thompson Library.)

 Forest Park is a "Town Forest" and is Under the Parks Department Control

Access: Main Street to Mishawum Road to Forest Park Road Size: 39 acres

 Where is Forest Park?
Map courtesy of Gene Vogt